The Washington Post has a great article talking about how robocalls have gotten completely out of control: How Robocallers Outwitted The Government and Completely Wrecked the Do Not Call List.
The story is actually pretty simple. Making calls has gotten really cheap and easy – thanks to ever improving technology. So robocallers make lots of calls, very quickly and at low cost. Second, people tend to answer the phone, giving robocallers a chance to do their pitches, which make money for the people making the calls.
Unfortunately, it’s going to get worse before it gets better, but protecting yourself with the YouMail app(s) is a great way to start. Just download YouMail For iPhone or YouMail for Android or sign up here.
You might also like:
- Robocall Scam of the Week: Password Reset Scam exploiting the Microsoft Brand
- Robocall Spam of the Week: FedEx Business Promotion Robocall
- The Curious History of Spam Calls and How to Block Them
- Robocall Scam of the Week: Utilities Scam Exploiting the US Energy Brand
- Robocall Spam of the Week: SBA Loan Repayment Spam Call