Just about everybody can agree that spam calls are an absolute nuisance and waste of time. We’ve seen nearly 60 billion robocalls in 2019 alone! Luckily, mobile phones now have free apps, like YouMail, that can effectively block many of the spam calls to those devices.
However, blocking unwanted calls to landlines is more challenging.
In this article we cover:
- How to use an answer machine to block robocalls to your landline
- How to block robocalls to your landline by forwarding your calls to your cell phone
- Free App to block robocalls to your cellphone
Many landlines use older technology, so you can’t configure their behavior easily from a website or download apps to them. Additionally, the carriers supporting those landlines often are running old switching technology that can’t even be programmed to block calls.
Fortunately, there are steps you can take so that unwanted calls to landlines don’t bother you nearly as much.
Our two favorites ways to stop spam calls to landlines are:
1) Using an answering machine
2) Forwarding calls to a cell phone with YouMail on it.
Use An Answering Machine
It may sound crazy, but when it comes to how to block spam calls from landlines, an old-school answering machine is a great tool to lessen the impact of robocalls to landlines!
The basic idea is this:
1) Turn off the ringers on your landlines.
2) Turn up the volume on your answering machine.
Most robocallers will simply hang up without leaving a message, so your phone won’t ring, and you’ll at most hear a dial tone on your answering machine. But important callers will start leaving a message, which you will hear, and can simply pick up the line once you hear them.
We admit, it’s a bit of a throwback to the 90’s, but this is effectively a way to block unwanted calls on landlines!
Forwarding Calls To Your Cell Phone
Here’s another approach that sounds a little crazy, but is very effective. Most landlines allow you to forward calls to a number by dialing *72 and the number. So if your cell phone is 310-555-1212, dialing *72 3105551212 will forward every call from your home phone to your cell phone.
To block robocalls on your landline:
1) Download a robocall blocking app like YouMail to your cell phone.
2) Forward all calls to your landline to your cell phone.
Effectively, all the calls to your landline will now go to your cell phone, where the robocall blocking app takes care of most of those annoying robocalls.
In fact, in YouMail’s case, the robocallers will hear an Out of Service message and won’t be allowed to leave a voicemail. (Don’t worry, you can always call people back from your landline.)
If you have a free app, and you have free call forwarding, then you now have a free way to block spam calls to landlines!
There are some challenges.
YouMail is a great call blocking app, and if you have T-mobile or Sprint, all of this works magically, and for free. If you have Verizon or AT&T Wireless however, you will have to have a paid YouMail service, for now, so that it all works. (The reasons for this are a bit complicated, but it has to do with how telephones pass numbers around, and how YouMail finds your mailbox. Trust us though, we’re working to get the other carriers going.)
With YouMail, you also get an award-winning voicemail service, so now all your landline voicemails are accessible on your cell phone too, so you don’t have to check a voicemail service or call in to hear your landline messages.
Try it out, and tell us if this is a solution for blocking unwanted calls to landlines for free that works for you!
You Might Also Like:
- Spam Number Checker
- Spam Call of the Week: USAA Survey Phone System Survey
- Send Scammers Packing: Tell Them You’re ‘Out of Service’ with Custom Greetings
- Robocall Scam of the Week: Password Change Fraud Exploiting Venmo Brand
- First Impressions Count: Learn How to Wow Callers with Our Guide to Professional Voicemail Greetings